Sunday, May 31, 2009

GAME 11: The race for the Honors Trophy is currently real close

BOXSCORES
This weeks set of games was highlighted by the no-holds-barred fight between D.C. Forever and Montgomery County. Both teams went back and forth with each other every step of the way with neither team ever more than 1 point ahead at any given time. The 6-6 tie beats the old record of 11 total game points. Both teams had 5 starters contribute to the score sheet. Both teams even left a goal on the bench. For a while it looked as if the Monarchs 9 game unbeaten streak would be over with D.C. Forever holding onto a 6-5 lead with very little time left in Sundays action. But, with 15 minutes left to play, Kenny Cooper scored the equalizer extending the unbeaten streak to 10 games.
On the stat sheet the match between the leagues top offense verses the leagues worst offense had the makings of a blowout. Capital District did win the match and move back into first place in the standings, but Motor City put up an impressive fight scoring 4 points. With 9 games to left to play the Gunners currently hold a slim edge for the Honors Trophy which would also give the team the first round bye from the playoff semi-finals.
Gateway United got its 2nd win a row defeating Union S.C. easily 5-1. The Blues had been looking good the last couple of weeks seeing a spike in offense, but could only manage 1 point in this match.
The Garden State Kickers struggled again in the very same way it did last week, but managed a 2-1 victory over Gaithersburg City. Also for the second week in a row Dave Vandenberg had an assist left on the bench.

11 comments:

  1. Now, lets see if the Gunners can keep it up as they start a tough 3 week stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, no dispect, you play Gaithersburg next.

    Just wait til you play me game 15.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not counting Gauthersburg out. Especially, as I think Blanco and Guevara will be on international duty. But, I think the rest of my roster should carry through.

    Game 13 shouldn't be too bad with only three players having the week off versus the Kickers.

    I don't even want to think about Game 14. Versus the Monarchs, and I have five players with the week off.

    Haven't even looked at when I play you, Gateway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though, if I really want to show that I'm not looking past them, maybe I want to spell the team's name right. Lol.

    Obviously, I meant Gaithersburg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Montgomery CountyMay 31, 2009 at 5:51 PM

    Holy crap this week was intense. Great match DC ! I actually hopped off the couch when Cooper scored :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. freakin van den bergh. doesn't do a damned thing for weeks. then i sit him on the bench and an assist 2 weeks in a row. now i'll dust him off and put him in the starting 11 and he'll do nothing again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GSK, don't sweat it too much. You still squeaked out the win :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I'm in my usual seat at the Galaxy game and Buddle scores the goal in the 87th minute and the crowd is going nuts. Heck, I'm going nuts too.

    In stoppage time the announcer says that Donovan had the assist and I knew right away that Gateway United had 2 points on me.

    Before that my boy Chris Klein fired a rocket that just missed and my boy Allan Gordon hit the cross bar :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was fun. However, I practically broke my TV after Cooper scored. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Capital District Gunners' Starting IX for Game 12 :

    STARTERS
    Angel
    Clark
    Montero
    Twellman
    Nagamura
    Holden
    Morales
    Moreno

    GOAL KEEPER
    Busch

    BENCH
    Guevara
    Blanco

    ReplyDelete
  11. DCUF would like to announce the release of Chad Barrett and the signing of Cornell Glen.


    DCUF's starting line-up for game 12.

    GK:
    Onstad

    STARTERS:
    Nyarko
    Wallace
    Emilio
    Joseph
    Richards
    Davis
    Moreno
    Glen

    ReplyDelete