Sunday, May 17, 2009

GAME 9: No lead was safe as comebacks were mounted everywhere

BOXSCORES
It was an exciting week of games in the BSL as all the games were highly contested. We start with the match of the week. Early on it appeared as if the league's #1 team would be cruising to their 5th straight win after taking a very quick 2-0 lead after the morning Saturday game. By mid afternoon that lead had grown to 3-0 for the Gunners. However, everything changed after the nightcap when Atiba Harris and Eduardo Lillingston came through for 4 points and one of the Gunners points was taken away to close out Saturday. The final result was a huge victory 4-2 victory for the Blues.
Another game waited until the 70th minute on Sunday to determine an outcome. Motor City was clinging to a 2-1 lead, desperate to try to end its 4 game losing skid. Only 1 player remained for the Kickers to seal the deal. True to his MVP form, Guillermo Schelotto put one behind the net to salvage a point for Garden State in the standings and end the game with a 2-2 tie.
Montgomery County built up a 4-0 lead including 2 goals from Josh Wolff. Then the west coast results started coming in and Gaithersburg City was on the comeback trail as well. First a clean sheet from Kevin Hartman and then a couple of late scores from Santino Quaranta. In the end the comeback fell a point short as the Monarchs held on for a 4-3 win and are now back in first place in the league.
A late goal by Luciano Emilio broke a late Saturday 2-2 tie with Gateway United to give D.C. Forever a 3-2 lead. Several players could have gotten the equalier for the Saints on Sunday, but no one could deliver.

10 comments:

  1. Damn Goats. Did Harris and Lillingston have to be in on both goals? Time to regroup and get ready for DC.

    Update on the Bigtime Euro league. Right now, we have five potential owners, and I'd like to get at least one more. I'd like at least eight, but we can do something with six.

    I know two guys were in favor of a Big 4 league, but I'd like to know what the others think. EPL or Big 4?

    Also, if any one has any suggestions, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big 4 sounds cool, but might be harder for you to monitor the scoring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I considered that, but I wanted to know what the other potential owners thoughts before I posted mine. To me, while a Big 4 League does sound cool, I'm worried that there might be too much work involved in tracking four separate leagues and all the players by myself.

    What I'm proposing is we do an EPL league, at least for next season, and consider expanding to include the other 3 leagues down the line.

    Right now, I'm working on the rules (with the approach it'll be an EPL league). What I'd like to know is who wants to play? When/if we hit six teams, I'll start on work on the site/Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in as stated before, it sounds like fun.

    I can see the issues with the Big 4 and the tracking of players .... however with only 4-6 teams I don't think there'd be too much digging. Keep it at a lower squad and everybody's team will only be made up of the top half of anyone in any of the Big 4 Leagues.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am curious to hear your rules when you make them.

    I will be introducing a yellow/red card rule next season in this league. I don't won't to ruin the surprise but I will bring it up in our off-season.

    I ABSOLUTELY KNOW YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO LOVE IT. IT WILL MAKE THE SUBS ALL SO MORE IMPORTANT and is sure to add to the fantasy game. That is the teaser :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm kind of up in the air on the Euro League. Noting personal but maybe if I had more specifics on it I could get excited about joining it. This one already had most of the rules, a site and structure set-up when I joined :)

    Now on to "Big News" or should I say "Bigtime News" ........ don't tease me Fred. My girlfriend teased me once and it got messy. (LOL) Spill the beans. Whatcha got planned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd have the same questions you would, Gateway. Here's some basics.

    It's going to look and run a lot like our MLS league does. I'm using Fred's rules as a base, and sprinkling in stuff I've picked up from other fantasy sport leagues I've played in.

    Right now, it's just going to cover the EPL. Depending on how things go, it could eventually expand to cover the other leagues, making it a Big 4 Euro league.

    It'll be a H2H league with weekly matchups. You earn a point for goals, assists, and goal keeper shutout.

    The minimum number of teams is going to be six. I think that's the least number that could be pulled off using a H2H format. Depending on the number of teams, each owner will play each other 3 or 4 times. At the end of the week, you get three points for a win, one for a tie, and none for a loss. Like with the EPL, at the end of the season, who ever has the most points, wins the league.

    Roster sizes are going to depend on the number of teams. If we go with six teams, it'll be a lineup of 11 (10 offensive players and 1 goal keeper).

    I'd like to have some sort of a keeper system. Something like you keep three of your players from year to year, the core of your team.

    I'm also thinking about doing some kind of end of season tournament. Say, the bottom three/four teams play for the first draft pick in next season's draft. This gives teams in the bottom of the table something to aim for and to keep a competitive team, and also hopefully stops a team from intentionally tanking their season if they fell they're too far out of it.

    I'm open to suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the offer CDG, but no interest here. DCUF only associates with MLS teams and not Euro teams.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As for the EPL vs Big 4, I believe the Big 4 idea is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patience. Let's finish this season first.

    ReplyDelete