Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Semi-Final starts on Wednesday

The BSL playoffs begin tomorrow! The two teams featured in this years Semi Final game have taken different paths to get here.

Gateway United started the season off rather slow losing several games by a 3-2 score. After nine games the Saints were in 6th place with a 3-5-1 record. Then the team caught fire and compiled a 9-o-1 record in their next 10 games before losing their final match of the season.

Montgomery County began the year off with a frustrating opening day loss before going 7-0-4 in an 11 game stretch. The Monarchs were fighting for the Honors Trophy and then the team hit a tough stretch going 0-3-1 in its next four games. The slump cost the team a chance at first place and almost the playoffs entirely. However, Montgomery's 2-1-1 record to close out the regular season proved to be enough for the team to grap the last playoff spot.

The Monarch's are not the same team since losing their #1 pick, Kenny Cooper overseas, and will need the bottom of the line-up to contribute. Coming into this weekend Gateway United might be without Landon Donovan who has been battling the flu. However, the Saints are undefeated without Donovan in their line-up.

During the regular season Montgomery County won the first match-up 3-2, but lost to Gateway United the other two times, 4-3 and a 7-0 blowout.

12 comments:

  1. Wouldnt it be great if Cunningham got me another 4 goals against Montgomery again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote "NO" on proposition Cunningham

    MCFC: Drops Lenhart and Nagamura, and Acquires Brad Evans and Eddie Lewis

    Lineup:

    Evans
    Harris
    Lewis
    Jaqua
    Glenn
    Cummings
    Ralston
    Nyarko

    Keller

    Oduro
    Gerba

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm worried about Donovan, but I got to start my Captain. No sense benching him even if he doesnt play. Its a playoff game from crying out loud :)

    Same lineup as game 20.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that could end up being huge.

    Good Luck senior .... while I obviously hope to win, I also hope that either way it turns out, it's a good match rather than a cakewalk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My gut tells me its going to take "ATLEAST" 4 points to win this game. We'll see if my guy is right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck you guys.

    Man, I wish I was had qualified.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, just in case I make it to the final.

    MCFC drops Oduro and adds Luis Landin, both of Houston

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1 - 0

    Progress of score summary
    Donovan (Goal)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good call starting him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Capital District Gunners announce the release of Josh Wolff (KC) and the signing of Jesus Padilla (Chv).

    Quick question that I couldn't find in the rules. If for whatever reason, I wanted to turn around and drop Padilla for someone else before my match next week, can I? Like, there's no rule stating how long a new player as to stay on a roster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Right now its 2 - 1

    Donovan (goal)
    Ralston (assist)
    Reis (clean sheet)

    But since Ries plays again this weekend I could lose his point :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can drop any player from your roster at ANYTIME.

    The Waiver Period applies to the players you want to pick up from other Bigtime team rosters.

    ReplyDelete