Saturday, September 10, 2011

GROUP STAGE 1: Plenty of Action in the Openers

TORONTO            8 
CAPITAL DISTRICT   8

A record tieing 16 points was scored in this match. The MLS 4th seeded club came out swinging in the first game of the tournament posting 8 points. Julian Guzman led the way with 3 points. The BSL Champ's played splendid including 3 assist from Chris Pontius, but would only be able to grab a point in the group stage standings. Reds- Soolsma(G), Frings(A), Johnson(G), Platta(A), DeGuzman(G 2A), Koevermans(G), Harden(Y), Avila(Y). Gunners- Montero(G), Rosales(A), Saborio(G), Sanvezzo(A), Pontius(3A), Mendoza(G) 

ALLIANCE  3 
SEATTLE   2 

The Sounders 3 yellow cards proved costly as Roger Torres entrance into the game allowed the Lions to pick up the win. Matt Pickens was also impressive with 8 saves. Alliance FC currently has first place in Group B. BOXSCORE: Sounders- Montero(G), Rosales(A) Carrasco(Y), Hurtado(Y), Alonso(Y). Lions- Torres(1T), Barrett(1T), Pickens(SP) 

LOS ANGELES  6 
PENNSYLVANIA 1

The Galaxy had the benefit of playing 2 matches in the week and took advantage of it scoring 6 points. Sean Franklin lead the way with 2 goals on the 5th and then an assist on Friday. The Stoners meanwhile did get 2 scores from LeToux and Bunbury, but with those players also playing twice in the week would have to settle for an average of 1 point from each player. A line up failure cost the Stoners a point as well. BOXSCORE: Galaxy- Franklin(2T), Donovan(1T), Gonzalez(1T), Beckham(1T), Barret(1T), Hejduk(Y), Donovan(Y), Beckham(Y). Stoners- LeToux(1T)-1LF, Bunbury(1T), Angel(Y). 

SECOND CITY 3 
COLORADO    1 

The MLS Champions were shut down Friday night and could only generate 1 point. The Stars took advantage with scores from 4 different players including a Jon Busch clean sheet. The Stars did lose 1 point for a lineup failure if a scoring average tiebreaker becomes an issue down the road. BOXSCORE: Stars- Chiumiento(G)-1LF, Frings(A), Koevermans(G), Busch(SP), Solli(Y). Rapids- Pickens(SP), Mullan(Y).

12 comments:

  1. Shouldn't have I tied? Toronto FC's got 2 yellows which should mean the Mendoza's goal as my first substitute counted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corrected. Scores/Standings etc have been updated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was in the MC. Its cool to have meaningful games in Sept/Oct. Anyone want to be in a Non sanctioned tourney with me for a few weeks while the MLS has some weeks left. Some kind of invitational against EPL squads. Any takers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go to me site for rules. Also I will place the table in a page called M.I.Central.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can not wait until this weekend. I have the worst possible luck with MLS sides. Kansas City scores 9 in my tournament, and now Toronto scores 8. Can't wait to see what Los Angeles does against me. Double digits?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am making some changes to be more I-Phone friendly. For example I will start putting the boxscores in the article and I have entered each clubs website address in the CLUBS SECTION for easier access while on your phone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who are you dropping for keller?

    ReplyDelete